Monday, January 2, 2012

Spoken English

What are you trying to say? 你到底想说什么? 
Don't be silly. 别胡闹了。 
How strong are your glasses? 你近视多少度? 
Just because. 没有别的原因。 
It isn't the way I hoped it would be. 这不是我所盼望的。 
You will never guess. 你永远猜不到。 
No one could do anything about it. 众人对此束手无措。 
I saw something deeply disturbing. 深感事情不妙。 
Money is a good servant but a bad master. 要做金钱的主人,莫做金钱的奴隶。 
I am not available. 我正忙着 
Wisdom in the mind is better than money in the hand. 脑中的知识比手中的金钱更重要 
Never say die. It's a piece of cake. 别泄气,那只是小菜一碟。 
Don't worry. You'll get use to it soon. 别担心,很快你就会习惯的。 
I know how you feel. 我明白你的感受。 
You win some. You lose some. 胜败乃兵家常事。 
Don't bury your head in the sand. 不要逃避现实。 
I didn't expect you to such a good job. 我没想到你干得这么好。 
You are coming along well. 你做得挺顺利。 
She is well-build. 她的身材真棒。 
You look neat and fresh. 你看起来很清纯。 
You have a beautiful personality. 你的气质很好。 
You flatter me immensely. 你过奖啦。 
You should be slow to judge others. 你不应该随意评论别人。 
I hope you will excuse me if I make any mistake. 如有任何错误,请你原谅 
It was most careless of me. 我太粗心了。 
It was quite by accident. 真是始料不及。 
I wish I had all the time I'd ever wasted, so I could waste it all over again. 我希望所有被我浪费的时间重新回来,让我再浪费一遍。 
I like you the way you were. 我喜欢你以前的样子。 
You two go ahead to the movie without me, I don't want to be a third wheel. 你们两个自己去看电影吧,我不想当电灯泡。 
Do you have anyone in mind? 你有心上人吗? 
How long have you known her?你认识她多久了? 
It was love at first sight. 一见钟情 
I'd better hit the books. 我要复习功课啦。 
A piece of one's mind 直言不讳 
He gave me a piece of his mind, “Don’t shift responsibility onto others."他责备道:“不要把责任推卸到别人身上。” 
a cat and dog life水火不容的生活 
The husband and his wife are always quarrelling, and they are leading a cat and dog life. 这对夫妇老是吵架,相互之间水火不容。 
a dog's life潦倒的生活 
The man lived a dog's life. 这个人生活潦倒。 
A to Z从头至尾 
I know that from A to Z. 我很了解这件事。 
above somebody深奥 
Well, this sort of talk is above me. 我不懂你们在讲什么。 
all ears 全神贯注地倾听着 
When you tell Mary some gossip, she is all ears. 跟Mary讲一些小道消息,她会听地仔仔细细。 
all the more更加,益发 
You'll be all the better for a holiday. 度一次假,对你会更有好处。 
all dressed up 打扮得整整齐齐 
She is all dressed up and nowhere to go. 她打扮得整整齐齐却无处炫耀。 
all in all 总的说来;最心爱的东西 
The daughter is all in all to him. 女儿是他的无价宝。 
all out 竭尽全力 
They went all out. 他们鼓足了干劲。 
all over全部结束;浑身,到处 
Glad, it is all over. 这事全部结束了,好得很。 
I'm wet all over. 我浑身都湿了。 
all set 一切就绪 
He is all set for an early morning start. 他已做好清晨出发的一切准备。 
all you have to do 需要做得是 
All you have to do is to calm yourself down and wait for the good news. 你需要做得是静下心来等好消息。 
as easy as falling of a log /as easy as snapping your fingers /as easy as ABC 容易得很 
To me, a good story teller, it would be as easy as falling of a log. 
对我来说,讲个故事还不是随手拈来。 
as busy as a bee 非常忙 
Mum is always as busy as a bee in the morning. 妈妈每天早上都忙得不可开交。 
at one's fingertips了如指掌 
How to get at that little island is at his fingertips. 他知道怎么去那个小岛。 
at one's wit's end智穷 
Don't ask him. It is also at his wit's end. 不要问他了,他也不知道。 
big shot 大人物,大亨 
He is a big shot in our little town. 
black sheep败家子,害群之马 
Every family has a black sheep. 家家有本难念的经。 
black and blue遍体鳞伤 
The thief was caught of red-handed and beaten black and blue. 那个小偷当场被抓住并被打得青一块紫一块的。 
black and white白纸黑字 
The proof is in black and white and the murderer has no any excuses. 证据确凿,凶手再也无话可说。 
blind alley死胡同 
You are heading into a blind alley. 你正在钻牛角尖。 
blow hot and cold摇摆不定 
This guy seemed to have no own idea. He always blew hot and cold. 这家伙好像没什么主张,总是摇摆不定。 
blow one's own trumpet自吹自擂 
Don't blow your own trumpet. Let us see what on earth you can do. 不要自吹自擂了,让我们看看你 到底能做什么。
born with a silver spoon in one's mouth出生在富贵人家 
He is born with silver spoon in his mouth. 他是含着金钥匙出生的。 
brand new 崭新的 
a brand new coat新衣服 
break the ice打破沉默 
The couple hadn't spoken to each other for a week. They were both waiting for the other one to break the ice. 这对夫妇已经一个星期没说过话了。两人都在等另一方先开口。 
by a blow被击
He is beaten to the ground by a blow. 他被击到在地。 
can't stand it any longer不能再忍受了 
I can't stand it any longer, I quit. 我再也忍受不了了,我走。 
carry something too far过火了 
You are carrying your joke too far. 你玩笑开得太过分了。 
castle in the sky海市蜃楼 
You plan is nearly a castle in the sky. 你的计划简直就是空想。 
cats got one's tongue哑口无言 ,多用于以下问句
We haven't heard from you all morning. Has the cat got your tongue? 
chain smoker 烟瘾很大的人
come up with产生,想出 
Let me come up with some ideas. 让我想一想。 
come easily容易 
Languages come easily to some people. 有些人能够很容易地掌握语言。 
cup of tea喜欢 
Movies are not my cup of tea. 我不喜欢看电影。 
cut it out 停止,住嘴 
Cut it out! I can't stand you any longer. 
call it a day 不再做下去,停止某种活动 
Let us call it a day, stop. 这一天工作够了,停工吧! 
dark horse黑马 
Nobody considered that John would win the game. He was a dark horse in the final. 
dear John letter绝交信 
Jack received a Dear John letter from his girlfriend because he had broken her heart. 
do someone good对某人有好处 
Having some morning exercises does you good. 
Do you get me? 你明白我的意思吗? 
doesn't count 这次不算 
It doesn't count this time, try again. 
doesn't make sense不懂;没有任何意义 
The sentence you made doesn't make any sense to me. 
down and out 穷困潦倒 
Being down and out, he couldn't support his family. 
drive at用意,意欲 
What's he driving at? 他用意何在? 
drop in 偶然拜访 
I dropped him in on my way to the hospital. 
drop me a line写信给我 
On arriving at the University, please drop me a line. 
early bird早起的人 
An early bird catches worms. 捷足先登 
easy come easy go 来得快去得也快 
eat my words 收回前言,认错道歉 
I said something bad to my mum. Although I want to eat my words back, it didn't work for I had hurt my mum's feeling. 
face the music 直面困难 
He knew he'd never get away with it so he decided to face the music and give himself up to the police. 他知道自己不可能逃脱,因此决定一人做事一人当——向警察自首。 
face up to 勇敢地面对某事 
You must learn to face up to your responsibilities. 
fed up厌倦 
I am rather fed up with your complaints. 
feel free to do something 不要拘束 
Please feel free to make suggestions. 
few and far between很少,稀少 
Human beings are few and far between in this zone. 这个区域人烟稀少。
Supporters of the amendment are few and far between. 这个修正案少有支持者。
French leave不辞而别 
give me a headache 让人头痛 
The naughty boy gave me a headache. 这个调皮的男孩真让我头疼。
give me a hand 帮我一下 
go Dutch AA制 
God bless you 上帝保佑你 
God bless you with your examinations. 
God knows 天知道 
Got it? 明白了吗? 
green thumbs /fingers 园艺技能 
hands are full非常忙 
have a ball / have guts勇敢 
have had it受够了 
I have had it with all your excuses. 我受够了你的借口。 
hold water站得住脚 
None of his arguments seem to hold water. 
in every sense of the word 从所有可能的字面意义上说
It's a lie in every sense of the word. 这是不折不扣的谎言。 
keep an eye on提高警惕 
kill time打发时间 
lazy bones 懒骨头 
Get up lazy bones! 
leave it to me让我来吧 
leave me alone 别管我 
like father, like son有其父必有其子 
like it or not不管你喜不喜欢 
make a fool of oneself愚弄某人 
make a big money赚大钱 
make both ends meet 收支平衡 
We have to cut our expenses to make both ends meet. 
make waves引起轰动;兴风作浪 
His achievement made waves in his country. 
make yourself at home 别拘束 
no good 没有好结果 
Bad man comes to no good. 
no kidding 不要开玩笑 
none of your business不关你的事 
not really 不全是,不完全正确…… 
old hand老手 
He is an old hand at stealing. 
old story 老一套 
I am tired of it, same old story. 
on one's word of honor以某人的人格担保 
on occasion 间或 
of one's own accord自愿地 
packed like sardines拥挤 
During the holidays, people in the trains are packed like sardines. 
pass away去世 
pay the price付出代价 
You are playing with the fire and you must pay the price one day. 
put up with忍受 
I can’t put up with your rudeness anymore; leave my room. 
red-letter day 重要的或值得纪念的日子 
red tape繁文缛节 
red carpet红地毯 
run into偶遇 
I ran into an old friend in the shop yesterday. 
run out of用尽,缺少 
Quick, quick, we are running out of time. 
show up 炫耀 
small potatoes小人物 
So what? 那怎么样呢? 
stand up with 忍受 
suit one's taste 对某人的胃口 
Sunday dress 最好的衣服 
sure thing 十分有把握的事 
take one's time 慢慢来 
Take your time and enjoy it. 
take the words out of one's mouth说出某人本想说的话 
that's it就是 
that is really something 太好了 
there is nothing I can do我什么都不能做 
there you go 做的漂亮 
there is nothing wrong with me 我没事 
under the table私底下,秘密地 
under the weather身体不适 
what's going on怎么了 
what a man多勇敢的人啊 
walking dictionary 活字典 
what's up 近来可好 
Hi, I haven't seen you for a long time, what's up? 
world class一流的